Credit card on file is a great feature that stores client credit card numbers securely within Thryv. This is beneficial for businesses that have a significant amount of returning clients. You only need to collect the credit card details from the client once and store them in the client card in Thryv. The next time you want to charge the client, the stored card can be used.
A Thryv staff member can save a card on file when submitting a new charge for a client.
To use Card on File:
Navigate to the client's Client Card > select New > select Charge > select checkbox for Save this card on file
After the initial Card on File is saved, that card is offered to use on any future charges.
Multiple cards can be saved to one contact.
You can view the cards on file for that client from the Client Card > Saved Credit/Debit Cards
From this view, you can also +Add card
If a client requests to make changes to their payment methods, click on the drop down for Saved Credit/Debit Cards. Then click on the tri-dot for the card you wish to edit. From here you can remove that card or set it as the default card to be used.
Note: There is not an option to edit a saved card. It must be deleted and added again.
When a payment is submitted, the client will receive an email stating that their card (####) is saved on file and will be used for future payments. The message directs the client to contact the business for any changes to the payment method.
Benefits of using Card on File:
- Keeping a card on file makes payments from returning clients easier since you already have their credit card information. Given the credit card details, you can also offer partial payments and payment plans, which makes paying even more convenient and less intimidating.
- Charging clients becomes faster simply because you already have all the required information.
- Clients can use their stored credit cards to pay for all types of transactions through Thryv including online appointments and invoices. Currently, this feature does not work with Mobile QuickPay.
- Any sensitive card data is encrypted and stored on the payment processor's secure servers.
- When a client goes to make a payment, and they have credit cards saved on their account, they will see that they can pay using one of their credit cards on file, or choose to pay with another debit or credit card.
- After a client makes a payment, they receive an email with the payment details, at the bottom of the email it will now include a notification about the card on file. It will let the client know, "Your Visa 0000 is saved on file to be used to future payments."
- You can also use this card to set up recurring payments if you have selected ThryvPay as your payment gateway. Take a look at Scheduled Payments to learn more!
Have more questions about this feature? Check out Card on File's FAQs!