To start collecting payments, you should begin with the following settings:
Navigate to Settings>Payments and set your Merchant Account:
Our current merchants are ThryvPay, Stripe, Square & PayPal.
- Follow this article to connect ThryvPay.
- Follow this article to connect Stripe.
- Follow this article to connect to Square.
- Read more on using PayPal as an accepted form of payment in this article.
Make sure the Online Payments payment option is checked so your clients will be able to pay online.
- Add a direct payment action on your Client Portal widget. Click here to learn more.
You can also create a payment button that will be set with a specific amount and paid for a specific service. Click here for detailed instructions.
- Collect payments in advance for scheduled services or appointments.
- Or go to Payments menu and send an invoice to your clients.
Funds we collect on your behalf will be immediately transferred to your Braintree/Stripe/Square account or bank account.
Here is the complete overview of all payment merchants currently supported by Thryv:
*Additionally for Square:
- In-person keyed in rate (if a card is entered manually): 3.5% + .15 cents
Sales & Payments FAQ
If I have already connected a payment gateway (Square or Stripe), do I need to connect ThryvPay?
If you already have a payment provider, you do not need to sign up for ThryvPay. If there are ThryvPay features you'd like to use, then you can toggle between the payment gateways when accepting payments. From the payment settings you will need to connect to activate the payment processor of your choice. You can only use one payment processor at a time.
Sales & Payments
Does my customer have to opt-in to receive text or email estimates?
No, these are considered transactional messages and therefore do not require an opt-in.
Can I link my existing Braintree/Stripe/Square account to Thryv?
Yes, if you already have one of these merchant accounts, simply use your current credentials when following the prompts to connect your account in the Sales section of Thryv.
Do I have to set up a merchant account in order to use the Sales feature in Thryv?
Without a merchant account, you are still able to use all other functionalities within the Sales feature and acknowledge other forms of payments like cash/check. You simply would not be able to run credit card payments.
What is the contact information for Braintree?
For Braintree questions, please call 877.434.2894
For Braintree account creation/general questions, please call 800.514.4920
For Braintree Business Support (If you already have an account), please call 888.221.1161
What is the contact information for Stripe?
You can contact Stripe Support either via our 24/7 Thryv Support, or directly by going to https://support.stripe.com/contact. Please note you will need to be logged into your Stripe account to use the contact features on the Stripe website.
What are the transactional rates when using credit card processing through payments?
Regardless if you are connected with Braintree/PayPal or Stripe, standard Rates apply whether through the Thryv app or manually entered. They are 2.9% + .30 cents per transaction, with rates as low as 2.2% if qualified.
Is there a tax calculator available to help determine my tax by city/state?
Thryv does not have a built-in tax calculator. You will need to include any taxes or fees when sending your invoices or processing payments.
Can Quickbooks or other software be integrated with Thryv?
Yes! Thryv has many different integrations, made possible by Zapier. Check out this article to learn more.
What should I put in my Terms & Conditions on my invoices?
This is language that should be determined by the business owner only. However, we have provided some general content that may be helpful for you when building your own terms and conditions.
When an estimate or invoice is sent to my customer, can it be updated?
No. Once an estimate or invoice is sent, it cannot be changed. A new one will need to be created or clones from an existing estimate or invoice.
What is the format in which an estimate or invoice is sent?
It is sent via a live HTML link, but can easily be downloaded as a PDF.
Can an estimate or invoice be sent to multiple emails or customers?
Not at this time, however a customer can choose to forward the link/message to an additional recipient.
Not at all! All of the funds collected from credit card transactions are deposited directly into the bank account of your choosing.
Will there be a delay or hold on funds from payments being submitted to the credit card companies for processing?
No, funds will not be placed on hold or delayed. Once the transaction is processed and sent to credit card companies, timeframes vary based on credit card type. Visa, MasterCard & Discover take up to 2-3 days. American Express can take anywhere from 3-5 days.
Will Thryv appear on my customer's credit card statements from ThryvPay, Braintree/PayPal, Square or Stripe?
No, your business name and logo (if uploaded) will appear on all statements.
How secure are payments that are processed using Thryv?
Thryv Sales is fully integrated with our merchant accounts. They are in full control of all payment processing, security and fraud protection. This includes full PCI compliance and Secure Payment Processing.
Do I need to have a corporation or business license to open a merchant account?
No, however, you will be asked specific questions like your business name, category and type of business, income, etc..
Are there any restrictions with connecting a payment account with either Braintree/PayPal or Stripe?
Yes, please see these merchant account restrictions by going direction to their website for more details:
Why should I connect a Stripe account?
If you already use Stripe as your payment method for your business, connecting your account using Thryv ensures that all of your payments are tracked in one convenient location.
If I have already connected a payment gateway (Braintree), do I need to connect Stripe?
Once you have chosen your payment option, you do not need to change it.
What are the fees for Stripe?
You would pay your standard Stripe fees of 2.9% per successful card charge.
Does Thryv charge an additional fee to my credit card payments?
No, Thryv does not charge any transaction fees. You would only pay the fees for Stripe.
Is my business allowed to create a Stripe account if I don’t have one?
There are some business verticals that will not be able to create a Stripe account, based on Stripe’s policies. They are:
- Investment & credit services (Securities brokers; mortgage consulting or debt reduction services; credit counseling or repair; investment services; real estate opportunities; etc.)
- Money and legal services (Financial institutions, money transmitters and money services businesses; etc.)
- Virtual currency or stored value
- Intellectual property or proprietary rights infringement
- Counterfeit or unauthorized goods (Sales, distribution, or access to counterfeit music, movies, software, or other licensed materials)
- Gambling (contests; fantasy sports; etc.)
- Regulated or illegal products or services (Cannabis dispensaries and related businesses; sale of tobacco, e-cigarettes, and e-liquid; online pharmacies; prescription-only products)
- Adult content and services
- Get rich quick schemes
- Mug shot publication or pay-to-remove sites
- No-value-added services (Sale or resale of a service without added benefit to the buyer)
- Aggregation (Engaging in any form of licensed or unlicensed aggregation of funds owed to third parties; etc.)
- Drug paraphernalia (Any equipment designed for making or using drugs, such as bongs, vaporizers and hookahs)
- High-risk businesses (Bankruptcy lawyers; remote technical support; psychic services; essay mills; chain letters; door-to-door sales; medical benefit packages; etc.)
- Multi-level marketing
- Pseudo pharmaceuticals
- Social media activity
- Substances designed to mimic illegal drugs
- Video game or virtual world credits (Sale of in-game currency unless the merchant is the operator of the virtual world)
What if I need assistance with my Stripe account?
You can contact Stripe Support either via our 24/7 Thryv Support, or directly by going to support.stripe.com/contact. Please note you will need to be logged into your Stripe account to use the contact features on the Stripe website.
How do I connect my existing Square account to Thryv?
We have an article for you to follow located here.
How do I create a Square account from Thryv if I don't have one?
You can follow this article to create a new Square account.
I have already connected a different payment gateway (Braintree or Stripe). Do I need to disconnect these in order to connect with Square?
If you are happy with your current payment gateway, there is no reason to remove your current payment merchant. Note that if you do disconnect a payment merchant and reconnect with Square, any refunds you may need to issue can only be sent using your previous payment gateway.
How many Thryv accounts will connect to my Square?
Only one Thryv account can connect to your Square account.
How do I process a refund using Square?
If you have processed your payment directly into Thryv, you can follow this article to learn how to refund your payment. If you have processed the payment in Square, you will have to follow this article to process the refund.
Once I connect my Square account, how much data will Thryv have on my Square account?
Thryv and Square work together to pull your last 10 years of payments into your Thryv software. You will need to follow the Square integrations process. We have an article on how to do that located here.
How can I issue a refund if I process a payment using Thryv?
We have an article to walk you through the process here.
How can I issue a refund if I process a payment using Square?
We have an article to walk you through the process here.
How can I sync my data in Thryv?
You will need to follow this article to sync your Square data to your Thryv.
When my data is synced to Thryv, what exactly feeds over?
The following fields will feed over from Square to Thryv:
- The Reference ID in Square
- Client Cards
- First & Last Name (this will be skipped if the client already exists in your Thryv)
- Company name (this will be skipped if it already exists in your Thryv)
- Email (this will be skipped if it already exists in your Thryv)
- Address (this will be skipped if it already exists in your Thryv)
- Phone Number (this will be skipped if it already exists in your Thryv)
- Birthday (this will be skipped if it already exists in your Thryv)
- Opt-In Preferences (this will be skipped if it already exists in your Thryv)
- Groups (will show as a Tag)
- Square creation source
What if I have a client with no email address in Square?
Thryv will work to merge your customers from Square based on an email that is provided in Thryv. The software is designed to check for duplicates by email first, then by the Square ID. This should guarantee that you will not have duplicate clients appearing in Thryv.
How can I get support if I need help with my Square account?
Are there any restrictions I may encounter using Square?
Information outlining what you may not sell when you use Square.
Square strives to provide a safe environment for both buyers and sellers. As such, we do not permit the sale of certain goods and services that are listed in Square’s Terms. In this agreement, you confirmed that you will not accept payments in connection with the following businesses or business activities:
- Any illegal activity or goods
- Buyer or membership clubs, including dues associated with such clubs
- Credit counseling or credit repair agencies
- Credit protection or identity theft protection services
- Direct marketing or subscription offers or services
- Infomercial sales
- Internet/mail order/telephone order pharmacies or pharmacy referral services (where fulfillment of medication is performed with an Internet or telephone consultation, absent a physical visit with a physician including re-importation of pharmaceuticals from foreign countries)
- Unauthorized multi-level marketing businesses
- Inbound or outbound telemarketers
- Prepaid phone cards or phone services
- Rebate based businesses
- Up-sell merchants
- Bill payment services
- Betting, including lottery tickets, casino gaming chips, Fantasy Football, off-track betting, and wagers at races
- Financial institutions offering manual or automated cash disbursements
- Prepaid cards, checks, insurance or other financial merchandise or services
- Sales of money-orders or foreign currency by non-financial institutions
- Wire transfer money orders
- High-risk products and services, including telemarketing sales
- Service station merchants
- Automated fuel dispensers
- Adult entertainment oriented products or services (in any medium, including Internet, telephone or printed material)
- Sales of (i) firearms, firearm parts or hardware, and ammunition; or (ii) weapons and other devices designed to cause physical injury
- Drug paraphernalia
- Occult materials
- Hate or harmful products
- Escort services
- Bankruptcy attorneys or collection agencies engaged in the collection of debt
- Internet/mail order/telephone order of age restricted products (e.g., tobacco)
For more information, review Square’s Terms.