Thryv gives you the ability to set up recurring invoices to be sent to your clients on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. With multiple options for how to set it up, you still remain in complete control of how and when each invoice is sent! If you are looking for a guide to sending invoices, click here.
First, navigate to Settings>Payments>Payment Automations
Turn on Auto-Billing, and then make a selection for Auto Billing Option
- Automatically create draft invoices - On a timing schedule you set, automatically create a draft invoice that does not automatically get sent to the customer. The invoice includes all Due and Overdue payments that have not yet been invoiced. In order to send to the client, you will still need to navigate to Sales>Invoices & Bookings>Drafts to find the invoice and send it.
- Automatically create and send invoices - On a timing schedule you set, automatically create an invoice and send it to the client. The invoice will include all Due and Overdue payments that have not yet been invoiced.
- Automatically send payment links - On a timing schedule you set, automatically sends client a link to make a payment for the amount of all Due and Overdue payments. Note: You must be connected to a payment gateway (ThryvPay, Square, Stripe, or PayPal) to be able to use this option
Next, select a schedule for your automated billing. Make a selection between Day, Week, and Month. You will then be prompted to select the day of the week or month, and the time you would like the invoice or payment link sent. Then, select the method by which you want it sent, Email, Text Message (SMS) or Both.
When you are finished, make sure you click Save in the orange box in the top left, to keep your changes. You can come back and alter the automated billing schedule at any time.
Which Charges Will Be Auto-Billed?
Auto-billing will total any outstanding charges that are Due or Overdue and send an invoice or payment link to the client for everything that is owed. For a full guide to payment statuses and how a charge becomes due or overdue, Click Here.
Here is a quick breakdown of how charges will be considered within Thryv
Charges from an invoice:
- Are considered Due when the invoice is sent
- Considered Overdue after the due date on the invoice
Charges from an appointment
- Will vary based on your payment settings for the service
- If the service is set to Require To Pay At Booking charges will be considered Due as soon as the appointment is scheduled, and is considered Overdue after the day of the appointment
- If the service is set to Suggest To Pay At Booking, the charge will not be considered due until the day of the appointment (meaning it will not be auto billed). It will be considered Due on the day of the appointment and then Overdue the day after
How do I know what invoices have been created and sent?
The Auto-billing tab will show a history of all invoices sent to customers and when they were sent. You can use the filters to view invoices created during a specific time frame or filter by customer.
Where can I find draft invoices that have been created?
Draft invoices are saved to the Billing & Invoicing tab under "Draft" status. You can use the filters on the right side to view only invoices in draft status. Invoices in “draft” status are saved and must be sent manually.
Will Thryv automatically invoice the same charge twice?
No, Automated Billing will only invoice charges that have not yet been invoiced
Will Automated Billing invoice charges created before it was turned on?
No, Automated Billing will only invoice charges created after it was turned on
Does auto-billing create a recurring invoice?
No, auto-billing does not create any new charges, it only totals up existing charges created by appointments and invoices.
Will existing previous due and overdue payments be sent once I enable Auto-billing?
The first scheduled automation will create an invoice for all existing due and overdue payments.
How many due or overdue payments can be added to an Auto-billing invoice?
When you initially enable Auto-billing all due and overdue payments not already invoiced will be added to an invoice and sent to the customer. After the initial invoice, only payments that become due or overdue will be added to an invoice.
For example, If auto-billing is scheduled for a weekly distribution, only payments that become due or overdue within the week will be added the newly created invoice after the first one.
Do invoices created through auto-billing look different to me or my customer?
To your customer, they will look exactly the same as a regular invoice, and all other invoices settings (default due date, terms and conditions, etc) will still apply. You will be able to tell if an invoice was sent through auto-billing when by clicking into the invoice
What if I don’t have an email address for my customer, can they receive auto-billing invoices?
Yes! Auto-billing gives you the option to send invoices or payment request links via email, text, or both. If you select only via email and a customer does not have an email the Auto-billing tab will show the created invoice as “couldn’t send”.
What is the difference between Auto-billing and Scheduled Payments with ThryvPay?
Auto-billing will only create invoice drafts, create and send invoices or send Payment request links for due or overdue payments. The customer will still need to make a payment. Scheduled payments do not require the customer to do anything, a payment is automatically charged to the card on file on the scheduled day.
What if my customer has multiple pets/accounts/projects with due and overdue payments, Will they receive multiple invoices?
Yes. Auto-billing will create/send separate invoices for each pet/account/project a customer may have.
What happens when there are no new charges created to trigger auto-billing?
You will still receive your regular email notification, which will advise that there are no open payments to be auto-billed for this cycle.
Can I change my auto-billing automation at any time?
Yes! Changing the automation will only apply to future due and overdue payments starting on the newly selected time frame. Previous automations will remain in your history but will stop once the Auto-billing option is changed.