As more and more business engage in text message marketing, rules and regulations have been put into place to project consumers from unwanted solicitations. All consumers have the right to opt in to receive marketing material or to opt out.
What that means for you as a business owner/Thryv user is that you need to obtain permission from your clients in order to send SMS, which stands fro stands for Short Message Service or text message marketing announcements to them. Obtaining you client's permission is a federally mandated rule detailed in the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), which stipulates that businesses and or organizations must receive consent from individuals prior to sending any SMS/text messages to them.
To send SMS/text message marketing there is a Double Opt In process that is required by law before you can send messages to those clients. This article goes over those options in Thryv.
Option #1 - Claim a Keyword and have clients text that Keyword to 85100 to Opt-In
This is simple to set up. To start you will need to claim a unique Keyword in Thryv.
Settings > Campaigns > Enter your Keyword > Select Claim
- Some keywords may already be taken. If you initial keyword idea is taken, try other keywords until 'Available' appears to the right in green.
- You can only claim a keyword for your business once so make sure it is the one that you want to keep . You cannot change it later
Once your keyword is claimed you can promote it in email announcements to your clients, on social media, and on your website. You can also post signage in your location inviting clients to opt in. You can also add an incentive to really drive participation from your clients. (Add incentive to First Opt-in reward message. See Above).
Example of Invite to Opt In signage:
Option #2 - Invite the client to opt in to receive text message announcements by prompting Thryv to invite that client.
Go to Clients > Select the client you'd like to invite
- Make sure the client's cell phone is in the Phone field
- Check the box next to By checking here, I direct Thryv to send an opt-in text offering this contact an opportunity to subscribe to SMS marketing. This contact gave me their mobile number with no use limitation.
- This signifies to the software that you have gotten permission to send marketing messages to this client
After the checkbox is check, another option will appear under Opt in for SMS campaigns
Select > Send SMS requesting opt-in confirmation
You will receive this pop up:
Select OK to continue.
This will send a text message to your client asking them to opt in to receive text message marketing from you. See example:
Note: The requesting opt-in confirmation message cannot be altered. This is a standardized message. Once the client opts-in you can send them announcements and let them know about your events and offerings.
If you client replies Yes, they are then subscribed to receive SMS/text message marketing from you. They can Opt-Out at any time by replying STOP in the message thread. (That will update in the Thryv and show that contact as Opted-out.
Now you are ready to send a SMS/Text message Announcement!
How to send a Text Announcement:
- Navigate to Marketing>Announcements and click Send on the Campaign
- Enter your text message.
- Under If client's phone number is not available
- Don't send
- Send via email
- If Send via email you can adjust the Email subject line
- Click Continue.
- Select the Tags or the Clients that you want to receive the announcement.
- Click Continue.
- Click on Send now for the immediate delivery of your campaign.