Importing your clients into Thryv is quick and easy! We have a few different options that you can choose from. We can import clients from your Google contacts, Square contacts, or from a CSV/Excel file. If you already have your client list ready, follow the steps below to get started. If you need to prepare your client list in a CSV/Excel file, Click Here to skip to the formatting guide.
Where to Import Your Client List
First, navigate to clients on the left-hand navigation.
(Note: Clients is the default CRM term of Thryv. If a different CRM term is selected for your account, under Settings>Business Info>Choose a Custom Term then the word Clients will be replaced by the selected term. Example: Jobs, Projects, Accounts, etc.)
Next, click on Import at the top of the screen
In the window that appears, click on Get Started
Next, make your selection for where you would like to import your contacts from. Your import source options are CSV/Excell spreadsheet, Google Contacts, Or Square contacts.
Make a selection as to whether you would like to link multiple clients to the same contact person or keep all of your contacts separate.
From here the instructions will differ depending on the selection made for the source of the import. Use each link to skip to the appropriate section:
Drag/Drop or Upload your CSV or excel spreadsheet with your contacts:
You'll then be asked to check that the fields in Thryv will match your upload.
- If Single is selected on the previous screen, then only the First Name is a required field.
- If Multiple is selected, both First Name and Client Name (Job Name, Project Name, etc) are required.
- (Note: If a different CRM term is selected under Settings>Business Info>Choose a Custom Term then the word Client will be replaced by the selected term. Example: Jobs, Projects, Accounts, etc.).
Next, you will be asked to map the columns in your spreadsheet to fields in your CRM. On the left side will be the columns in the spreadsheet, and on the right side, use each drop down to select a field in Thryv for that column to map data.
If the correct fields do not appear or appear improperly, you may need to format your spreadsheet differently or check that your contact fields are set up correctly. Click here to skip to the formatting guide for a spreadsheet or click here to learn how to set up your contact fields.
To avoid creating duplicate contacts in your account, you will be prompted to advise the system what to do if the contact already exists in your Thryv account.
- Skip - By default, the system will import "new" contacts (clients whose email address does not exist in your account) and will not override existing clients' information.
- Overwrite - If you wish to update existing contacts' details, you can select Override Existing before clicking on upload.
*Please note that clients are identified according to their email addresses and not by name. So only existing contacts with an email can be updated by a CSV/excel import.
Choose the best option for you and select Import.
Your contacts are now being added to Thryv. You see the success screen below. You can close this window. You will receive an email notification once all your contacts have been successfully uploaded!
Importing your contacts from Google is a very straightforward process:
- On the Import page, click on the Google Contacts button.
- Choose your Google Account.
- Allow access to contacts.
- The following Google Contacts fields will be imported:
First Name, Last Name, Email, Address, Phone Number
Thryv can import up to 10 years of history of your Square contacts.
- On the Import page, click on the Square option.
- Next, log in with your Square credentials
- Grant Square the necessary permission to import contacts to Thryv.
- You will see the same confirmation screen as the other import options to know the import is complete. You will receive an email summary of the import after it is completed.
Formatting your Spreadsheet for Import
- First, you will have to prepare an Excel or CSV (Comma Separated Values) file. Your file should be formatted as a table and must include a header that defines the fields in your table.
- If your CSV file contains special characters (or non-ASCII characters) it must be saved in UTF-8 encoding, otherwise, while attempting to upload the file, you will see an error message indicating a bad format.
To convert the file to the correct encoding, you should follow these steps:
- Open the CSV file by using Notepad or another simple text editor.
- Click the File menu, and then click Save As.
- In the Encoding list, select UTF-8, and then click Save.
- For more detail on importing see article Step by Step Importing Clients
Set the column header in your Excel/CSV file to match the fields in your Client Card:
- For client email address, the email column should be titled 'E-mail Address.'
- The file must include 'First Name' and 'Last Name' columns titled accordingly.
- A column titled 'Phone' and a column titled 'Address' will auto-populate the client phone number and address information in the Client Card.
- If you wish to import client groups or tags, you can use a column titled 'Tags.'
Under the Tags column you can specify the possible tags values separated by a vertical bar ( | ) - e.g., tag1|tag2|tag3
- If your client list is in non-English languages, or if you use special characters in your list, use EXCEL file to upload the contact list
- Here is an example of how the column headers should look like.
Custom client fields
Other than the default information above, you can import additional client information. You just need to make sure that the names of the fields in your Client Card will match the column headers in your Excel file.
To add/edit the client card fields navigate to Settings>Client & Contact Info.
*Please note: Import contacts is not supported for IE 9 and older IE versions
If you have any automated campaigns turned on to go to new leads, they will be sent to your import list. If you don't want this list being contacted, turn these campaigns off for 24 hours when you import.