Keep your customer payment information up to date across Thryv and QuickBooks Desktop without the manual hassle. With just the customer email or phone number, you can sync Invoices and Payments between Thryv and your QuickBooks account to remain up to date no matter where you work. With this integration, you can sync every invoice or payment made in Thryv directly to the contact in your QuickBooks Desktop and vice versa.
The QuickBooks Thryv App is a paid app which will add a $5 charge to your monthly Thryv account invoice.
To use this integration you will need to have a version of QuickBooks Desktop software. The integration will work with QuickBooks Desktop versions: Pro Plus, Premier Plus, Enterprise. This QuickBooks Thryv connector app must be run on the same computer where QuickBooks Desktop is installed. Make sure you are on the correct device before starting installation.
To start the install go to the App Market tab on the left-hand navigation and select the QuickBooks Desktop app from the app list. Then select launch this app. The next screen will outline the permissions that the app needs.
Check the box notating that you agree to the terms & conditions.
Select Connect to QuickBooks.
The next screens outline the options you have to for the initial sync and for the ongoing sync with the QuickBooks Desktop app.
Determine what historical data you would like to sync from to Thryv and from Thryv To QuickBooks Desktop:
Toggle the options to yes or no for what you would like to sync with the app:
- Sync all historical Invoices from Thryv to QuickBooks Desktop
- Sync all historical Invoices from QuickBooks Desktop to Thryv
- Sync all historical Payments from Thryv to QuickBooks Desktop
- Sync all historical Payments from QuickBooks Desktop to Thryv
Note: Customers missing an email will not sync. Customers with incorrect format will not sync, i.e. me.me.com (wrong email format).
Determine what items you would like to sync ongoing from QuickBooks Desktop to Thryv and from Thryv To QuickBooks Desktop:
Toggle on what you would like to sync with the app:
- Create ongoing sync of Invoices from Thryv to QuickBooks Desktop
- Create ongoing sync of Invoices from QuickBooks Desktop to Thryv
- Create ongoing sync of Payments from Thryv to QuickBooks Desktop
- Create ongoing sync of Payments from QuickBooks Desktop to Thryv
The QuickBooks Connector will start to download automatically.
When the download is complete, select the file.
You will be asked for a License Key.
Check your Thryv Inbox and insert that license key into the QuickBooks Connector.
Then, select install.
The next screen will prompt you to select your region (either US, Canada, or UK).
Then select link.
The QuickBooks connector will then ask for confirmation that the company you are logged in to is the company you'd like to sync with Thryv.
Next, you will be prompted to allow the application to read and modify your QuickBooks Desktop company file. Any of the Yes options allow the connector to work but we suggest that you choose Allow access even if QuickBooks is not running for the best experience.
Options may vary between QuickBooks versions but are similar to:
- Yes, prompt each time
- Yes, whenever this QuickBooks company file is open
- Yes, always; allow access even if QuickBooks is not running.
In all cases, we recommend choosing the option that allows the most access to QuickBooks so that you can sync data as easily as possible.
Confirm Access by selecting Done.
Allow the connector a moment to link, then you will receive a success message.
Your QuickBooks Desktop Connector App is now installed.
The initial sync of historical data is in progress. You will be notified via a message to the Thryv inbox with the initial sync is complete.
What to expect from sync
This integration will perform an initial two-way sync of contacts between Thryv and Quickbooks Desktop. An email is required for each contact to import between Thryv and Quickbooks Desktop. Any missing information in the last name, address, or phone number fields in Quickbooks Desktop will result in a "null" field in Thryv. An email is required to associate the contact on any estimates, invoices or payments that get sent from Thryv to Quickbooks Desktop.
If you chose to sync contacts, when a contact is created in Thryv the integration will create that contact in Quickbooks Desktop. And when you create a contact in Quickbooks Desktop, the app will create that contact in Thryv.
- The contact's first name, last name, email, and address will sync.
- Custom fields in Thryv will not sync in this integration.
- The contact must have an email address in order to sync.
- The contact's initial creation will sync to the app. Any updates to the contact that will not sync, unless an invoice or payment is issued to that contact.
Quickbooks Desktop Contact Sync'd to Thryv
- If there is a different billing address from the shipping address. The shipping address will be injected into Thryv.
- When a contact is created in Quickbooks Desktop and synced to Thryv the source on the contact will show Quickbooks Desktop Integration.
- To navigate to a contact source, go to the contact, under contact info select show more. The source is listed in the additional info section.
Thryv Contact Sync'd to Quickbooks Desktop
- The contact's first and last name will appear without a space between, ex. ErinGoodman. This is the expected format for the integration.
If you chose to sync invoices, when an invoice is created in Thryv it will create a copy of the invoice in Quickbooks Desktop. And when you create an invoice in Quickbooks Desktop, the app will create a copy of the invoice in Thryv.
- Invoices that sync from Thryv to Quickbooks Desktop will show ' thryv1Thryv Invoices' in the account section of the Quickbooks Desktop invoice.
- A synced invoice is only a copy of the Thryv invoice, so receipts are not triggered to the client in Quickbooks Desktop. (Receipts are triggered from Thryv when created in Thryv.)
- Notes created in either platform will not sync to the copied invoice.
If you chose to sync payments, when a payment is collected or created in Thryv it will create a copy of the payment in Quickbooks Desktop. And when you create a payment in Quickbooks Desktop, the integration will create a copy of the payment in Thryv.
- Refunds created in QuickBooks Desktop will not copy over to Thryv. This action will need to be created manually in Thryv.
- Refunds created in Thryv will copy over to QuickBooks Desktop.
Update App Sync Preferences
Go to the App Market tab on the left-hand navigation and select the Quickbooks Desktop app from the app list. Then select launch this app. The next screen will outline the permissions that the app needs.
- Check the box notating that you agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select Connect to Quickbooks.
The next screen outlines the options you have to sync with the Quickbooks Desktop app.
Toggle the options to yes or no for what you would like to sync with the app:
- Invoices from Thryv to Quickbooks Desktop
- Invoices from Quickbooks Desktop to Thryv
- Payments from Thryv to Quickbooks Desktop
- Payments from Quickbooks Desktop to Thryv
After making your selections, select re-authenticate.
You will receive a successfully updated message.
Are you still issuing invoices from QuickBooks Desktop? We recommend that you turn the 'Ongoing' Sync with clients off, to keep your Bill To section in QuickBooks unaltered.
We recommend this because the address in Thryv will overwrite the 'Bill To' section in QuickBooks Desktop. This is due to a limitation in the integration. The QBD Bill to section is a free text field and we are not able to input the client's name with the address. So if you turn the ongoing sync off, it will keep your Bill To section in QuickBooks Desktop intact.
To uninstall Quickbooks Desktop, navigate back to the app, and on the Ongoing Import Options screen, click on Unsubscribe in the top right. You will be asked one time to confirm, then the app will be uninstalled.
Will this integration work for operating systems, PC and Mac? This integration is built only for PC users running Windows 10 with the latest service pack(s) installed. Users have successfully run the connector on older versions of Windows; however, we do not officially support this due to Microsoft's withdrawal of support for these operating systems.
This integration will not work on the MAC OS.
Will this integration work for all versions of QuickBooks Desktop?
The integration will work with the latest versions (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022) of QuickBooks Desktop:
- QuickBooks Desktop (UK)
- QuickBooks Desktop (US)
- QuickBooks Desktop (Canada)
- Pro Plus
- Premier Plus
- Contractor edition
- Manufacturing and Wholesale edition
- Accountant edition
- Professional Services edition
- Nonprofit edition
The integration will not work with QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
How often will the app sync information? The sync from Quickbooks Desktop to Thryv will occur hourly. The sync from Thryv to Quickbooks Desktop will be a few minutes.
Which address is injected into Thryv from Quickbooks Desktop, if there is a different shipping and billing address? If the shipping address is different than the billing address, the shipping address will get priority and be the address in Thryv.
What will sync in the app? The Quickbooks Desktop app can sync customers, invoices, and payments from Quickbooks Desktop to Thryv and vice versa from Thryv to Quickbooks Desktop.
What will sync in the initial sync? The Quickbooks Desktop app initial sync will pull all historical data from Thryv -> Quickbooks Desktop or vice versa, Quickbooks Desktop to Thryv. If you choose that sync option.
The contact or invoice didn't sync. What happened? Please check the contact's information. Customers without an email will not sync. Customers have to have an email addresss to sync. Customers with incorrect format will not sync, for example me.me.com (wrong format).
Can I use this app on multiple computers?
The QuickBooks Desktop connector is designed to work in single-user environments only, where one Windows user logs on to the computer they use to access QuickBooks. It is not designed or supported for use in multi-user or hosted environments.