What is Website Enhanced Accessibility?
Thryv has created website enhanced accessibility to serve your clients with a disability that affects their hearing, vision, or other physical capacities.
Why is Website Enhanced Accessibility needed?
There is a growing need for websites to be ADA compliant so that people with disabilities are able to access your website.
What is ADA?
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is meant to ensure that people with disabilities have the same opportunities as anyone else. This means any business that serves the public must make sure their business accommodates people with disabilities. ADA compliance online means that your website needs to be accessible to people who have disabilities that affect their hearing, vision or physical capacities.
Is Website Enhanced Accessibility required?
Yes and no. There are no national ADA standards for websites. Still, state by state laws are being passed, such as California, that require specific accessibility features be available on every website. These laws can also affect you even if your business is not located in California, but you service someone that lives in California. In 2019, over 2,200 lawsuits were filed in federal courts regarding accessibility issues regarding websites.
What does Website Enhanced Accessibility provide to make your website ADA compliant?
I'm so glad you asked. The website enhanced accessibility toolkit provides several accessibility features:
- Big Curser Tool - magnifies the curser for that user to be able to see it better
- Reading Guide - provide a line across the page to allow easier reading
- Emphasize - highlights the line from reading guide to allow easier reading
- Contrast - changes the colors on the website to the user's preference to allow easier reading
- Keyboard focus - allows the user to use their keyboard to navigate the website using the tab or directional keys.
- Highlighting Heading, Links, Buttons, and All of the above - Allow the user to highlight important elements on the website to be able to read more easily
- Text Size - Allow the user to increase the size of the font on the website to make it easier to read.
- Text Spacing - Allows the user to increase the spacing of the text to make it easier to ready
- Change font - Allows the user to change the font on the website so they can choose one that is easier for them to read.
- Disable Animations - Flashing animation can be distressing to some users. This feature allows the user to disable any moving animations on your website. It only disables the animation for their viewing.
- Display alternative text - Alternative text is how images are labeled on a website. This tool presents the text in a bigger more readable format.
- Player - This feature will read the content on the website to the user.
Here is what it looks like:
To find more information about Thryv's Enhanced Accessibility, visit our FAQs about Enhanced Accessibility article.